As the saying goes, sometimes the truth hurts. But I think it hurts the most when it sneaks up on you. So I would like to take this opportunity to give you (and remind the me that will be back in grad school a little over a year from now) the cold hard truth about graduate school. I may not be the ultimate authority on grad school but there are a few things that I am quite certain of and this is one of them:
You are going to hate it. And by hate it I mean you will be convinced you somehow cheated your way in or were admitted out of pure pity. You will think you are mere days away from having everyone find out that you cannot actually cut it. You will tell yourself weekly (if not daily) that you have no hope of ever finishing whatever degree it is you are working on. Some days you will not even know why you decided to get that degree in the first place. Most of all, you will think about how much better your life would have been if you had not gone to grad school.
But know this, if you did not go through that process you would not be doing it right. The fact that you never think you can do it and you still continue to find the guts to come back every day is proof you were meant for this place and that you are just crazy enough to succeed.
***This was on the "old" blog - something I wrote in the middle of the night and we all know night-writing is the most honest. It is at least if you have recently drank a can of Diet Rockstar.
No comments:
Post a Comment