Thursday, July 3, 2008

life goals 1, artistic ability 0

I know that I said if this project of mine didn't turn out well that I was going to delete all evidence of the idea. However, now that I actually managed to do something with all the pieces that had been camped out on my table for weeks now, I feel like I should get credit for not giving up before I started. I am also not convinced that it looks like something done by someone over the age of 7 (which is sad given it is tassels up through an M.A.). So I need a little help to figure out what to do with it to make it better. FYI I tried the whole white matte behind the tassel thing and it just looked really odd.

I forgot to take any pictures while I was actually making this trainwreck because I was too busy cursing and measuring without any real measuring device. Here it is right after I finished it:



After it sat just like that, on that very table for a few days, I finally got motivated to hang it on the wall, even though I will probably change it. I figure the wall is a good place to start storing things so that I can put different junk on the tables. Yea for fitting more junk in this tiny apartment! So here it is on the wall:


What you have probably noticed by now is that despite being from the same school, the black tassel is actually significantly shorter than the gold one. The idea was to leave space for the fourth tassel and to have an empty hook/pin for it. (I was thinking this would be good motivation, as if I would finish a Ph.D. just to avoid repositioning the tassels in a shadow box I will probably lose in the move anyways.) There is an empty pin but the pins are so small you cannot really see the empty pin unless you are up close. So now it just looks like I am horrible at evenly spacing. The small pins are nice because they don't really show from behind the tassels. I'm lost. Help.

I never knew how much disappointment was in my life until I started blogging.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

I like the tassel box. I will admit when you first mentioned it, I thought you were hanging tassels from the box. Now I see that is not the case and I commend you for such good work.